Follow me on my new exciting journey of becoming vegan!
This blog will feature recipes, tips, and links while letting you take a peek into the everyday life of a new vegan.

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Potato and Leek Soup

Autumn will soon be here, and the time for cozy soups and chili will be upon us. I’m not a big soup fan, but I am enjoying soups more and more. I love chunky vegetable soups and soups with beans. This was the first creamy soup I have tried (I'm going to say soup one more time...SOUP). The taste was great! But, I’m still adjusting to the texture. I know it’s full of vegetables and yummy ingredients….but it had the consistency of gravy. So, it took some getting used to. I had this with some crackers and hummus, but it would also go great with a sandwich.
Potato and Leek Soup
2 tbl canola oil
1 pound leeks (about 2 large), trimmed, cleaned and coarsely chopped
1 cup sliced cultivated mushrooms
¹ (14 ounce) cans (3 ½ cups) low-sodium vegetable broth
½ cup water
1 pound russet potatoes (about 2 large), peeled and coarsely chopped
¼ tsp salt, or to taste
Black pepper to taste

In a medium stockpot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the leeks and mushrooms and cook, stirring, until leeks are softened and mushrooms begin to release their liquids, about 5 minutes.
Add the broth, water, potatoes, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and simmer briskly, uncovered, until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Stir occasionally.
Working in batches, if necessary, transfer to a food processor fitted with the knife blade or to a blender. Process until smooth and pureed. Return to the pot and reheat over low heat as necessary.

13 grams of protein per serving/ 206 calories

Recipe from Supermarket Vegan by Donna Klein

No comments:

Post a Comment