Follow me on my new exciting journey of becoming vegan!
This blog will feature recipes, tips, and links while letting you take a peek into the everyday life of a new vegan.

Monday, March 28, 2011

Spring has Sprung!

Even though it snowed last night, Spring has not left my spirits! I have lovely fresh flowers around the house to try and brighten up the place and I am hoping for sun. Don’t get me wrong, as a Canadian I love the winter, but I think we’ve had enough snow already :P

Yesterday I decided to make some new recipes from a book called The Vegan Cook's Bible by Pat Crocker.I made a hearty Potato and Chickpea Casserole in Cashew cream with a delightful side of Coconut Rice with Cauliflower. For the casserole, I also added an oatmeal nut topping after it baked for a bit. Overall, this casserole wasn’t too great. It was kind of dry, and the cashew cream didn’t bring anything flavorful to the dish. If you enjoy coconut dishes, you will love the coconut rice recipe beloq. I found it even better the second day and ate it as leftovers with some spring rolls.

Coconut Rice with Cauliflower
1 can (14oz/400ml) coconut milk
1 cup short grain brown rice
2 tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 piece of candied ginger, finely chopped (I didn’t use this because I obviously didn’t have any laying around!)
2 cups finely chopped cauliflower
½ cup whole wheat bread crumbs
Sea Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

In a saucepan over high heat, bring coconut milk to a gentle boil. Stir in rice. Cover and reduce heat to low and cook for 40 minutes. Do not remove lid during cooking. Stir rice, which will be very wet and soupy. Increase heat and simmer uncovered, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes or until rice is tender and creamy.

Meanwhile in a deep skillet, heat oil over high heat. Stir in onion. Reduce heat to medium low and cook, stirring occasionally, for five minutes or until slightly softened. Add garlic and ginger and cook, stirring frequently, for 2 minutes. Stir in cauliflower and cook, stirring frequently, for ten minutes or until tender and fairly dry. Stir in bread crumbs.

Add cauliflower mixture to rice and season to taste with salt and pepper.

I didn’t have the short grain rice, so I just used the 10 minute brown rice and just reduced the timing for everything. It still worked out great!

1 comment:

  1. You should definitely pick up some candied ginger! It's delicious as a snack, and great for settling your stomach. You could also chop it up and dip it in dark chocolate to make little candies. And apparently it's really easy to make yourself, and then you can use the leftover water and syrup to make ginger ale!

    ReplyDelete