Follow me on my new exciting journey of becoming vegan!
This blog will feature recipes, tips, and links while letting you take a peek into the everyday life of a new vegan.

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Grocery Shopping

I try not to buy fake meats too much, but they’re just so great for fast food fixes and provide you with tons of protein. Recently, I tried the Meatless Mediterranean Chicken Strips from Superstore. They were very tasty, and didn’t have that cardboard taste that some other brands have. I made a Caesar wrap with mixed greens and tomatoes. It was something familiar that I haven’t had in awhile, so it was a nice treat. There were also “Meals to Go” in the refrigerated pasta aisle. I thought there was going to be milk products in these packages, but I was surprised when there wasn’t. Each one has flatbread and hummus, as well as a trail mix snack and a bean or pasta salad. It was a little on the pricey side...but it would be great to bring with you on the road or if you’re running late to work and need to pack a lunch. On a side note, I am a bit frustrated with having to go to Sobeys and Superstore because they each carry different products. Tofutti products are only found at Sobeys, but Superstore has a larger health food section (this is the case for my local area).

I wrote letters to each of my local stores commending their acknowledgment of the vegetarian/vegan community and the selection they did have. But, I also explained how it is hard to get all your groceries in one stop, and there are still some products they don’t carry at all (for example: tempeh, seitan, agave nectar, vegan marshmallows etc). I don’t know if it will help, but maybe if others have already commented or showed an interest in healthier and alternative food choices, changes will start to be made in the grocery stores.

Remember, every time you buy something you are voting! If you buy an organic product, a local product or a healthy product, it shows each store which products are popular and which aren’t. So, if we buy less meat, hopefully meat will be in less demand….meaning fewer animals will have to be killed!
Happy shopping :)

2 comments:

  1. Hey Jenna! I've never tried those strips, might be nice in fajitas though. They have the worlds best meatless chicken strips (in the frozen section) which are made with gardein, I like those. but I agree with you, with not depending on them for your source of protein. nice fora treat though!

    Also, I think you can get agave nectar at the Superstore. I'm pretty sure I've seen it there before. Annddd, I've never tried this with Superstore,but if you're at Sobeys, and in the health section, and there is someone stocking the shelves, you can always ask them to carry something in particular. I've asked before, and they did it! You could just go to customer service as well with the empty package, or product information, and they might try to get it for you. I've done it a couple times (only at Sobeys), and they have helped me out both times.:o)

    Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jenna,
    I hear you..I have found that I have the same issue, great idea to write a letter. The other day I was at a Sobeys that was being renovated and on the sign it appeared that the natural food section was going to be bigger. Natural foods is the fastest growing segment in the food industry which is exciting! Keep up the great work!

    Angie

    ReplyDelete