Follow me on my new exciting journey of becoming vegan!
This blog will feature recipes, tips, and links while letting you take a peek into the everyday life of a new vegan.

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Tofurkey Weekend

Thanksgiving weekend has come and gone, and my experience with Tofurkey has been a great one! Mom and I cooked all day and tried some new recipes. To start off, I made a pumpkin cheesecake topped with candied cranberries, and my mom made a classic apple pie.
Once the desserts were done we worked on cutting up the veggies and preparing the Tofurkey. I also made some roasted sweet potatoes and mushroom gravy to top it all off! To make the Tofurkey, we surrounded it with carrots, potatoes and onions. We also made a basting sauce; the recipe was on the side of the box. We cooked the Tofurkey after it was thawed out, so it only took about 1 hour and 30 minutes.
The flavor of the Tofurkey was very similar to the real thing, but of course the texture wasn’t the same. My favorite part has always been all the side dishes and gravy, but it’s nice to have a piece of protein on your plate.
Everyone really liked the gravy! I wasn’t sure if it was going to work or not, but I was surprised yet again! Here is the recipe:
Mushroom Gravy
8oz. (225g) mushrooms (Shitake, Portobello, or regular), sliced
¼ cup sliced onions
1 ½ Tbsps. Oil
½ cup unbleached white flour
2 Tbsp. oil
4 cups vegetable stock, or soymilk
1 Tbsp. soy sauce
¼ tsp. black pepper

Lightly sauté the sliced mushrooms and onions in the 1 ½ Tbsps Oil. In another pan, combine and bubble the flour and 2 Tbsp oil together over low heat for 1 minute. Whisk in the stock along with the soy sauce and pepper. Cook until thickened, whisking out any lumps. Stir in the mushrooms and onions and serve.
I used 4 cups of vegetable stock and it worked great.


Of course, Thanksgiving is all about family and compromise. Dad still cooked a small turkey for the rest of the family, but acceptance is key. I am so very thankful for everything in my life, especially my family. I am also thankful for the people who have made it their life’s quest to spread the word about animal rights, the environment and becoming vegan. Without the literature out there, the videos and the strong people who support this lifestyle, I wouldn’t be aware of what I am today. I am also thankful to have something to stand up for; something that makes me feel good about my choices and something that has changed my life for the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment