Follow me on my new exciting journey of becoming vegan!
This blog will feature recipes, tips, and links while letting you take a peek into the everyday life of a new vegan.

Friday, October 15, 2010

Sharks!

Becoming vegan has made me very aware of the cruelty and abuse that goes on in the farming industry. But, it has also made me more aware of all animals, whether they are farm animals, exotic animals, domestic animals or sea kittens (aka fishies)!

Learning about animals and their intelligence absolutely blows me away. They deserve a lot more credit than we give them. The way they interact, survive and love is astonishing. One of the animals I have fallen in love with is the shark. They are amongst the oldest creatures on earth: over 400 million years old!

When we think about sharks generic images are conjured up in our heads. We think the words “angry”, “death”, and “Jaws”. All of these ideas are not true, but it’s what we as a society has thought up. Just like my shirt says, Sharks have feelings too! Don’t just accept things to be the way they are, make a difference and open your mind to new things. If we take the time to become informed about animals, we will surprise ourselves. You will become more aware of the Earth, and become more compassionate towards all of its inhabitants. Learn more about these amazing creatures! I highly recommend the documentary “SHARKWATER” -- if you haven’t already watched it. It opened my eyes to the numerous troubles sharks face through fishing and the unnecessary use for shark fins. I also learned so much about their special talents and their way of life. We need these intelligent, important animals to survive. This documentary moved me so much that when I finished watching the film, I adopted a shark through the World Wildlife Foundation.
Here is the link to the movie “Sharkwater” through Youtube…but like anything, the DVD is so much better and it gives the photography and beautiful images much more justice.


Check out the movie's website as well:
http://www.sharkwater.com/

1 comment:

  1. Awesome shirt Jenna! I'm so happy that you adopted a shark! I always wanted to adopt an animal from the WWF. I'm looking forward to checking out the film. Thanks for the great info :D

    ReplyDelete