Follow me on my new exciting journey of becoming vegan!
This blog will feature recipes, tips, and links while letting you take a peek into the everyday life of a new vegan.

Saturday, December 11, 2010

Apple Strudel Anyone?

Oh MY GOSH…This...is...good. This is really easy to make because you just buy the pre-made puff pastry sheets. I didn’t know that most of them are vegan--so just read the label. This is going to be a great dessert to make over the holidays, and I have a feeling I will be making it many more times!
Apple Strudel
1 puff pastry sheet, defrosted
3 tbl sugar
1 ½ tbl all purpose flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon (I always add more cinnamon, because it is my favorite)
1 pinch of nutmeg
1 pinch of allspice
1 pinch of salt
2 to 3 apples, peeled and sliced thinly
1 tbl lemon juice
2 tbl vegan butter
Sugar, for sanding

1. Defrost the puff pasty according to package directions (it takes approximately 30-40 minutes to defrost one sheet).
2. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
3. Combine the sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and salt. Toss the sliced apples with the lemon juice and then coat with the dry spice mixture.
4. Unfold the puff pastry and roll out to 11x14 inches.
5. Place the apples in a line down the middle. (For one strudel, I put some raisins in with the apples. I let them soak in some boiling water for a minute to fatten them up before baking them in the strudel).
6. Fold the dough over and tuck in the ends.
7. Brush the strudel with melted butter and sand generously with sugar.
8. Using a serrated knife, make several diagonal slashes in the strudel.
9. Bake for 35 minutes until golden brown and puffy. Let it cool for an additional 20-30 minutes before slicing, then serve.

For a topping, I took some icing sugar and mixed in some soy milk (almond milk would be too thin for this I think). I also stirred in some melted Tofutti cream cheese. Just keep adding icing sugar until you get the consistency that you want…then drizzle it all over!

Recipe from VeganYumYum by Lauren Ulm

No comments:

Post a Comment