Follow me on my new exciting journey of becoming vegan!
This blog will feature recipes, tips, and links while letting you take a peek into the everyday life of a new vegan.

Sunday, December 5, 2010

A New Meal and Some Comfort Food

Grilled Portobello Sandwich on Tuscan Herb Foccacia with Orange Chili Mayonnaise Ingredients:
4 D’Italiono Tuscan Herb Foccacia Buns
1 cup of baby spinach
1 large avocado, peeled and sliced
1 large tomato, sliced

Orange Chili Mayonnaise:
1/3 cup Vegenaise
2 tsp grated orange zest
1-2 tsp chili powder
1-2 tsp orange juice

Mushrooms:
2 large Portobello mushroom caps
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste

1. For orange chili mayo, combine all ingredients using desired amount of chili powder. Set aside.
2. Mix oil, vinegar, salt and pepper. Brush on mushrooms. Let stand about 15 minutes to absorb flavor. Grill cap side down on medium heat for 5 minutes. Turn over and grill 3 minutes or just until they start to exude their juices. Cut in ½" slices.
3. Toast buns on grill if desired. Spread a little chili mayo on the buns and load up with mushrooms and your toppings!
These sandwiches were pretty good, but they had too much of a citrus flavor for my liking. I will definitely buy the buns again, and the mushrooms had a good texture. The chili mayo was great, except next time I wouldn’t add the orange zest, and I’d add some more chili powder! We served them along side with Cuban Style Roasted Sweet Potatoes. Yum :)

Last week I also made some comfort food: Vegan Sheppard’s Pie.
I didn’t really follow a recipe for this. I sautĂ©ed some onions, garlic and carrots in a pan. Once the onions were transparent, I added in some corn, salt, pepper and some Veggie Ground. Then I added about a ½ cup of vegetable broth to the pan and simmered everything for another 10 minutes. Some peas were added into the mix at the end, then everything got poured into a large glass dish. Mashed potatoes (with vegan butter), were spread on top of the veggie ground mixture. Chili powder was then sprinkled on top for some flavor. I baked it for about 25-35 minutes at 400 degrees Celsius, and then ate it with ketchup (of course)!

No comments:

Post a Comment