Follow me on my new exciting journey of becoming vegan!
This blog will feature recipes, tips, and links while letting you take a peek into the everyday life of a new vegan.

Monday, August 23, 2010

Crispy Tofu Slices with Orange Dipping Sauce and Baby Bok Choy

This meal was really easy and fast to make. This was my first time having Bok Choy and I really enjoyed it. I had some tofu that was almost expired so I fried that up, and steamed the Bok Choy at the same time. Both of these recipes are from The Kind Diet.

Crispy Tofu Slices with Orange Dipping Sauce
Serves 2 or 3
1 package savory-flavored baked tofu
½ cup corn flour
½ cup brown rice flower

Safflower oil
¾ cup fresh orange juice
1/3 cup maple syrup

Summarized version:
Cut tofu into ¼” thick slices. And dip into the mixed flours.
Cover the pan with a thin layer of oil and cook until lightly brown on each side (about 3 minutes). Drop onto some paper towel to drain.
Stir together the orange juice and maple syrup and serve on the side, or drizzle it on top.

I didn’t have corn flour or brown rice flour, so I just used whole wheat flour and some garbanzo-bean flour I had. It says in the book you can use whatever flour you want. Although the dipping sauce was tasty it was a little bit too runny, but that’s just my opinion.

Baby Bok Choy Drizzled with Ume Vinaigrette
Steam the Bok Choy for 1-2 minutes until it starts to wilt. Mix 1 tbl of olive oil and 1 tbl umeboshi vinegar and drizzle over the Bok Choy. I only did a teaspoon each, and I didn’t even use that much. I really liked the flavor of the umeboshi vinegar though. It definitely had some kick! The tofu turned out nice and crispy, but it would have been bland without the sauce. I didn’t know what savory-flavored baked tofu was, so maybe that makes a difference. These fried tofu-strips would be really good in a hummus wrap with some veggies for some extra protein and its “meat-like texture”.
I enjoyed this meal, but it wouldn’t be one I’d make to impress an omnivore. Trial and error!

This is the photo from the recipe book. I think I did pretty good!

No comments:

Post a Comment