Follow me on my new exciting journey of becoming vegan!
This blog will feature recipes, tips, and links while letting you take a peek into the everyday life of a new vegan.

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

My Favorite Quote

"But for the sake of some little mouthful of flesh, we deprive a soul of the sun and light and of that proportion of life and time it had been born into the world to enjoy".
– Plutarch

My eyes keep opening wider and wider. Since giving up meat, my life has changed so much. Not only do I feel healthier, lighter and happier, but I have come to witness the real world around me…for the first time.

Meat is everywhere. It’s in the cans of beef ravioli; it’s in the marketing signs along the highway. It’s in commercials, it’s in movies, it’s on everyone’s plate in the restaurant. Was it always like this? It baffles my mind! How could my whole perspective change in only a few months?



I am so grateful to the undercover reporters and film makers who make it their duty to show the world where our meat really comes from. If I hadn’t seen any documentaries or read any books, I would probably be eating a chicken breast right now. But, I am SO glad my eyes are finally open.

Now, I notice the ridiculous commercials that make us want meat and THEN I think of the pain and torture each animal had to go through to make all our meat desires possible. I know we don’t want to think of our meat as an animal and a LIVING creature…but that’s what it is. Period.

Think about it...we grow up reading children’s books full of animal characters. We are taught to respect living creatures; everything from a mouse to a bird, to a dog. We are surrounded by animal teddy bears. We live in awe of their intelligence. We read books about them, we pay money to see them and we always swoon and coon when we see animals. We all just love animals……but then we go to the table and eat one for dinner.

Where did this line get crossed? When did it get fuzzy? Why is it okay to eat an intelligent, loving pig while our dog sits beside us? We can keep ignoring the fact that something had to die for our meal, or we can make the decision to eat healthier. Eat healthier for the animals, the planet and for yourself.

The quote at the top of the page rings true. Why do we sacrifice a life? Because it tastes good? We don’t need meat to be healthy; we can get all our nutrients and proteins from other sources. So if you love animals, you have to really ask yourself…why am I eating animals?

I asked myself that question, and the answer was because it tasted good. It was a pitiful answer and it wasn't a good enough reason for me to keep eating meat. So I did my research. Yes, it’s a sacrifice I’ve made, but it’s honestly the best thing I’ve ever done. Not only has my palate EXPANDED; everything tastes BETTER!

I LOVE animals, and I am bewildered that I never made the connection between my plate and the face of the animal. I encourage you to do the same. Another quote to ponder...
"Man is the only animal that can remain on friendly terms with the victims he intends to eat until he eats them".
-Samuel Butler, Note-Books, 1912

No comments:

Post a Comment