Follow me on my new exciting journey of becoming vegan!
This blog will feature recipes, tips, and links while letting you take a peek into the everyday life of a new vegan.

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Italian Eggplant Sandwiches

This weekend my parents were visiting and I wanted to try a new vegan meal. I am also proud to announce that my mom is now a vegetarian, and has been for a few months now. I searched some recipes online and decided to try the Italian Eggplant recipe from http://www.vegcooking.com/. This site is great if you want some new, easy, home cooked recipes. They also have some samples of menus for a full week. It’s definitely a great site to check out.

This was my first time cooking with eggplant, but I have learned it is very versatile. You can fry it, bake it, grill it…you name it! I look forward to trying new recipes with this in the future.

The coated eggplant in this recipe was delicious. We just bought store made marinara sauce (always read the labels carefully because a lot of red sauces have parmesan cheese hidden in there) and poured it on top of our toasted subs. A side of corn on the cob completed this new tasty meal.
Italian Eggplant Sandwiches
Turn your kitchen into a New York deli with this zesty Italian sub. Molto buono!
1 eggplant
1/2 cup soy milk
Egg Replacer equivalent to 1 egg
Salt to taste
1/2 cup flour
1 cup Italian-style bread crumbs
4 sub rolls, sliced
1/2-1 cup marinara sauce

• Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Peel and cut the eggplant into 1/4-inch slices and set aside.
• Combine the soy milk and egg replacer and a pinch of salt (if desired) and mix well. Set up a breading station with one bowl for each: flour, egg replacer mixture, and bread crumbs. Dredge the eggplant in flour and shake off the excess. Submerge the eggplant in the egg replacer mixture, shake off the excess, then coat evenly with bread crumbs. Place the eggplant in a single layer on a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake, uncovered, for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the eggplant is crisp on the outside and tender inside.
• Place the eggplant slices on the sub rolls, top with marinara sauce, and serve immediately.

Makes 4 servings


I think next time I’d try to spice it up a little…maybe use some salsa, or even treat the eggplant slices like chicken and make a sub with veggies. Dad got a little creative with his and added olives and spices. I just have to say that it feels so good to eat an entire meal that has been cultivated from the earth. Knowing that no animals were harmed and no flesh is inside of me; it is one of the greatest feelings I have ever had.

1 comment:

  1. Jenna this looks amazing! I am going to try it and I'll let you know how it turns out! mmmm

    ReplyDelete