Follow me on my new exciting journey of becoming vegan!
This blog will feature recipes, tips, and links while letting you take a peek into the everyday life of a new vegan.

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Quick Food Fixes...

So far, my vegan adventure has been a successful one. I find the one thing I have to do is prepare, prepare, prepare. I went home again last weekend, and you’ll learn quickly that not a lot of places have vegan options. Vegetarian is pretty easy (stir fry, salad, quesadilla, or pasta)…but milk will sneak in where you least expect it to.

For example, I went out to eat with my parents and the only thing on the menu I could eat were the onion rings. So, I had some greasy (but yummy) onion rings with a side of tomato. There was a salad option, but who wants to eat a salad every time they go out to eat?! Plus, all the salads there had creamy sauces.

Here are some quick snack/ lunch ideas that I love and that I have tried so far. Please feel free to share some more!

Quick Lunch ideas:

-Vegetable hummus wrap
Topped with lettuce, tomatoes, bean sprouts, match stick carrots and cheese…the possibilities are endless!
- BBQ pitas
Using BBQ sauce, top pita with fake chicken strips, red onion, mushrooms, sun-dried tomatoes, cheese and spices. Bake until cheese melts. - Chickpea sandwich
Mash up chickpeas and add vegan mayo, along with chopped green onion-or other vegetables…and salt and pepper. It has a tuna sandwich texture.
-The versatile salad
Throw in a different green each time and throw in some sliced almonds, carrots, chickpeas or other beans, tomatoes, strawberries or other fruit. I really like Renée’s chilled dressings; a lot of them are vegan.
- The versatile sandwich
Use some fake sliced meat, piled high with veggies, pickles, mustard or mayo—any way you like it! I like toasting my bread for any sandwich because it makes it taste that much better!
-Burritos
Buy them frozen and take them out for lunch.
- Meat free burgers with any topping you like
- I’ve been making big batches of things like soup and putting them into individualized containers. There are also tons of yummy vegetable and bean soups out there. I like the Amy’s brand.
- Salsa bean cakes (see previous post)
- Make a pizza with your favorite toppings. There’s even fake pepperoni out there if you’re craving it. Freeze some to have for later.
- Nachos with salsa, green onion and peppers. Use some veggie ground and top with cheese—yumm!
- Spring rolls and rice
- Fake chicken nuggets and fries
- Bagel with Tofutti cream cheese, topped with fruit or eat with some veggies.
- And don’t forget the classic PB&J sandwich…or some toast with PB and banana

Snacks:
-Air popped popcorn with vegan butter and sea salt
- Celery with peanut butter and raisins
- Granola bars
- Trail mix
- Fruit salad
- Any baked goods, frozen and taken out whenever you desire them
My favorites are chocolate chip cookies, peanut butter bars, banana bread and cupcakes
- Tofutti ice cream treats
- Nacho chips with salsa and hummus
- Chopped up veggies with vegan dip (I like Renée’s Caesar dressing)
- Almonds or any other type of nuts
- Raisins or Craisins
- Soy yogurt with oatmeal and fresh fruit
- Banana with peanut butter

The list goes on and on! I am still venturing out and trying some new, more difficult main dishes…I will be posting along the way!

Jenna :)

2 comments:

  1. Hey Jenna! I am loving your blog! :o) Just wondering, what kind of cheese are you using? I'm yet to find one that tastes very good.

    Thanks! Keep posting!
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question! I have yet to find a vegan cheese that I have fallen in love with.

    I was using the Rice cheese when I was vegetarian...but that has a milk protein in it. I've tried the "Vegan" brand cheese from the supermarket but I don't like it.

    I don't crave cheese as others do, because I've been lactose intolerant for so long. But, I am still on the lookout for a good brand :)

    ReplyDelete