Follow me on my new exciting journey of becoming vegan!
This blog will feature recipes, tips, and links while letting you take a peek into the everyday life of a new vegan.

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Nori Wraps and Quinoa

Another new recipe tonight for supper!
I purchased some Nori sheets the other day and I really wanted to include some in one of my meals this week. Nori is a sea vegetable (aka. Seaweed). Sea vegetables intrigue me, but I haven’t tried many yet. They are full of minerals, protein and iron. The Nori that I bought is what you usually see wrapped around some types of sushi.
For more information on sea vegetables click here:
http://www.vegsoc.org/cordonvert/recipes/sea/seaveg.html

To prepare these Nori sheets you need to toast them. You’re supposed to hold them over a low flame until they turn a bright green. Well, I have a ceramic stove so I put them on a frying pan…and they burnt (and I burnt my finger). I tried putting a cooling rack over the pan with the Nori on top… and the Nori still wasn’t turning green, it was just getting very dry and brittle. So, I tried to hold an actual flame underneath it and it just wasn’t working (It also miggght have caught on fire). By this time I was getting pretty hungry so I decided to try a wrap anyways. I filled one with hummus, sliced avocado, apple, carrots and lettuce. The other wrap I made with lettuce, tomato, carrots, apple and some left over crispy tofu slices.

I didn’t really like these wraps…but hey, that’s what I’m here for-to tell you what tastes good and what doesn’t. But, I am blaming the bad taste/texture on my inability to correctly toast them. Please leave me some pointers if you have ever used these sheets before!

I also made a side dish of quinoa. It was my first time using it, and I really liked it…but I would like to try it with some more flavors and in some different dishes because it is SO good for you.

"Pronounced 'keen wah', Quinoa is a frequently neglected and relatively unknown superfood - containing a perfect balance of all eight essential amino acids. It is gluten-free and a great source of protein. Nothing else packs a punch of nutrition quite like quinoa".
http://quinoa365.com/

It is such an adventure to explore all these new nutritious foods! And, you don't have to be vegan or vegetarian to try some more grains and vegetables in your diet...you can just enhance your diet!

Happy cooking :)

2 comments:

  1. I think you can toast nori by putting it on a cookie sheet and baking it in the oven...that's what Dr. McKeith from "You are what you eat" says anyways...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should have looked it up before I started...then I got too hungry haha
    I still have tons left to experiment though! So, I'll try that next time :)

    ReplyDelete