Follow me on my new exciting journey of becoming vegan!
This blog will feature recipes, tips, and links while letting you take a peek into the everyday life of a new vegan.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Tofu-Spinach Lasagna

Tyson’s sister Tanya made me a HUGE vat of veggie lasagna before Tyson left (so thoughtful). I cut it into pieces and froze it individually. Unfortunately, I just ran out of that tasty lasagna so I had to go make some myself!

I decided to try a new recipe. This one is called Tofu Spinach Lasagna. The recipe doesn’t call for any extra vegetables, but I sautéed some onions and green peppers to put in the tomato sauce. I wanted to put in mushrooms too, but the ones in my fridge went bad-Ooops!
I was a little bit skeptic about how this tofu was going to simulate cheese, but it was delicious! The tofu sauce is best made in a food processor. But, my new food processor just broke sooo, I used my handy dandy blender and it did the trick just fine.

Tofu-Spinach Lasagna

If you're wary of replacing the dairy in your recipes, never fear—blended tofu makes a great substitute for soft cheese.

1/2 lb. lasagna noodles
2 10-oz. packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
1 lb. soft tofu
1 lb. firm tofu
1 Tbsp. sugar
1/4 cup soy milk
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
3 tsp. minced fresh basil
2 tsp. salt
4 cups tomato sauce

• Cook the lasagna noodles according to the package directions. Drain and set aside.
• Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
• Squeeze the spinach as dry as possible and set aside.
• Place the tofu, sugar, soy milk, garlic powder, lemon juice, basil, and salt in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth. Stir in the spinach.
• Cover the bottom of a 9-inch-by-13-inch baking dish with a thin layer of tomato sauce, then a layer of noodles (use about one-third of the noodles). Follow with half of the tofu filling. Continue in the same order, using half of the remaining tomato sauce and noodles and all of the remaining tofu filling. End with the remaining noodles, covered by the remaining tomato sauce. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.

Makes 6 to 8 servings
Recipe from www.vegcooking.com

I ate this along with a Caesar salad and had scrumptious oatmeal chocolate chip muffins for dessert. Some pre-mixed muffin and cake mixes won’t have milk or eggs, but a lot of them say “may contain traces of”…so be sure to read the labels. I usually add some extra cinnamon and a bit of applesauce to make them extra moist. You can top them off with some sliced apples or some shredded coconut. I always burn my fingers when they come out of the oven because this is when they taste the best! That ooey gooey chocolate and melted vegan butter….Yumm!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for bringing me some of the lasagna...it was delicious!!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have the nutritional breakdown for this recipe?

    ReplyDelete