Follow me on my new exciting journey of becoming vegan!
This blog will feature recipes, tips, and links while letting you take a peek into the everyday life of a new vegan.

Monday, July 5, 2010

My Favorite Food Products Right Now...

There is an increasingly new amount of vegan-friendly food out there! Most supermarkets have a designated “Health Food” aisle or a section of meat-free products.
I haven’t had a chance to try everything just yet but here are some of my favorites so far.

Silk-Chocolate Soy Milk
This is a thick, creamy, perfect substitute for a glass of chocolate milk. It’s full of calcium and protein. I have this atleast once or twice a day. Yum!
Almond Breeze- Almond Milk
I think the hardest thing to find is a milk substitute that tastes like REAL milk. This almond milk has a bit of a nutty flavor to it so I add it to my cereal in the morning. It’s perfect, light and fresh. Becel Vegan Butter
This new line of butter tastes exactly like regular Becel. I use it in baking and for spreading on rolls and bread. Another butter that is great for cooking is Earth Balance. I find the taste is great but it’s not as “spreadable” as Becel Vegan Butter.
Kashi Honey Almond Flax Cereal
I have this almost every morning on top of multi-grain cheerios and some fruit. It’s crunchy, tasty and gives me some protein to start the day.

Beans
I am loving beans right now (haha)! They can match the protein of meat, have less fat and cost less. Chickpeas are my favorite right now. I put them in salads, soups and chili. I even made a veggie pie with a chickpea crust the other day.
I think I was always afraid to eat beans…because we all know “beans make you fart!” But, there are specific ways to cook them to reduce the gas…and they just clean out your system better than meat. So the more you eat them, the more your body will appreciate you for it.

Rice
Organic brown rice with sea salt…yumm. There are so many recipes to spice up your rice. Adding lentils, vegetables…and well, spices!

Yves Meatless Chicken Cutlets
These are great for a caeser wrap or a stir-fry. Tastes just like chicken if your craving it!

Tofurkey Meatless Slices
I use these on a sandwich with veggies and whole grain bread. A classic.

Our Compliments Meatless Burgers
My dad even approved these burgers. BBQ’d and drenched with sauce—yum, my mouth waters!
Hummus
Hummus has really grown on me. The more I eat it the more I love it. My favorite kind right now is Vegetable Hummus. I’ll eat it with onion wheat crackers or spread it on a pita for a veggie wrap.

Tofutti Cream Cheese
This imitation cream cheese is delicious! I love it on a bagel with some homemade strawberry jam. I can't wait to make a cheesecake--I just need someone to help me eat it haha.

Tofutti Ice Cream Bars
Tofutti has a huge variety of ice cream treats and other products. Great on a hot day :)

I’m a sucker for sweets. Vegan sweets are very easy to make. I can use all of my favorite cookbooks and just substitute the milk for soy and the eggs with egg replacers (a powder). ..and Voila!

These are all great things to help you get started. I've only just stepped into the world of different recipes (stuff I've NEVER eaten before). I'll keep you updated on my cooking journey and tell you what's good...and not so good.

Happy Eating!


Jenna

2 comments:

  1. Great stuff here Jenna! I love the almond breeze! I have the original unsweetened with kashi organic cinnamon harvest pretty much every morning.

    Veggie Patch makes great chick'n nuggets and garlic portobello burgers.

    I'm trying to get Aura Whole Foods to carry Sweet and Sara's vegan marshmallows.I ordered them a while ago from a quebec store online and they are insanely good!

    Also, thought I'd share this recipe for chick pea stew. It's very hearty and filling and tasty! Probably not the best for the weather we've been having lately, but on a rainy/chilly day, it's heaven!

    Chick Pea Stew

    Ingredients:
    * 1 large can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
    * 1 onion, chopped
    * 2 cups vegetable broth, from bouillon cube is fine,about
    * 1-2 heaping tablespoons peanut butter, to taste

    * 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes (chopped or crushed to your liking)
    * 1 teaspoon each ground cumin, coriander and turmeric powder (or your favorite curry powder in place of all 3)
    * 1 zucchini, chopped
    * 1 bell pepper, chopped
    * 2-3 carrots, chopped
    * 1 sweet potato, chopped
    * salt & pepper, and chili powder (optional) to taste

    Directions:
    1. cook onion till almost soft in broth or a little oil.

    2. add other veggies and cook for a couple minutes.

    3. Add all remaining ingredients- Use only as much broth as needed to make it a stew-like consistency.

    4. Bring to a boil and then let simmer about 30 minutes or depending on how crisp or tender you like your veggies.

    Sometimes I have this over brown rice to stretch out the portions.

    Hope you like it!

    Jenn :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the recipe...I love trying new ones :) I will let you know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete